PRS Recruitment Solutions are looking for a Cost Estimator/Quantity Surveyor to start immediately for a 3-12 month contract in Gatwick, West Sussex. £300-£400 per day depending on experience.
Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm
Gatwick Airport is changing at an outstanding pace and this is an exciting opportunity for an Estimator to be part of teambuilding Gatwick’s future infrastructure.
The Estimator will play a vital role in setting cost targets for capital projects at initial concept stage to supporting the development of robust cost plans for projects at full funds approval. The Estimator will collate benchmark cost data both from external sources and from completed projects to use as a basis for informing future estimates and cost plans. The Estimator will work closely with Project Sponsors and programme delivery teams to ensure there is a clear basis for estimates and that all estimating assumptions are documented and understood.
- Provide early stage estimates to Project Sponsors to support the assessment of project feasibility.
- Provide estimates to form the “should cost” budget to be included in Business Cases for the approval of funds.
- Provide Project Teams with external benchmark data graphs based on data provided by Commercial Framework Consultants, ensuring like-for-like comparisons Conduct assurance of estimates with reference to external benchmarks and previous project cost information.
- Provide training to the Construction team and other stakeholders as required in Gatwick estimating processes and procedures.
- Collate, compare, assess and analyse data on completed projects to provide benchmarking information for future estimating.
- Liaise and engage with Commercial Framework Consultants for independent estimating services such as external benchmarks, estimates and reviews.
- Support project teams where required with sourcing or producing independent cost assessments of major scope changes.
Qualifications and experience
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in Quantity Surveying, Engineering or similar construction related field.
- Membership of a professionally recognised cost organisation such as (RICS) Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors OR (CIOB) Chartered Institute of Building highly desirable.
- Experience (typically associated with three years’ experience) providing building services cost estimating or quantity surveying services to projects with a value typically in excess of £10m highly desirable.
- Experience in an estimating, cost engineer, contract management or commercial role within the construction or infrastructure sectors working on projects typically in excess of £1m.
- Experience in all aspects of cost estimation using best practice techniques in the construction industry.
- Knowledge of Industry standard estimating software desirable.
- Good understanding of construction techniques & constructability issues.
- Good understanding of mathematical and financial reports.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Awareness of airport environment desirable.
- Personal resilience and the ability to operate within ambiguity.
Applicants will also need to demonstrate competence in Gatwick Values behaviours as shown below.
Framework and boundaries
- Within Gatwick Airport Ltd, the Construction Department comprises a series of programme and project teams, along with technical support functions. The Department is accountable for the delivery of the airport CIP of circa £1.2bn over 5 years, which encompasses projects across the airport campus. The Department, of circa 200 staff, manage in the region of 15 key consultancies and contractors, and at any one-time stewards around 100 live projects.
- The Central Estimating Group (CEG) is part of the Construction Support team and provides estimates; assurance of estimates with reference back to benchmarks; and benchmarking collation and assessment.
- The role supports projects across all areas of the airport and the wider Construction organisation with specific expertise where appropriate and requires stakeholder liaison internally up to and including department heads.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: £300.00 to £400.00 /day